Chair – Mary Jane Keyse, Fidelity National Financial Family of Companies
Vice-chair – Toni Carlos, Westcor Land Title Insurance Company
Purpose and duties:
- Monitor bills in the State Assembly and State Legislature that have the potential to impact the title insurance business
- Review bills with potential impact and rate for 1) future action, 2) further monitoring or 3) not relevant
- Future action may include issuing a memo in support or opposition, conferring with a bill’s sponsor, assisting in re-drafting legislation to address the Association’s concerns
- Provide topics and talking points for members to use during advocacy outreach and lobby day activities
- The Legislative Committee is the nucleus of the Association’s Advocacy and Lobby Day activities
What we’ve been up to in April, May and June
- Rated ten new bills
- Assisted with drafting a Memorandum of Support for bills A8152/S7042 revising the laws regarding mobile homes. This legislation is long overdue but once again did not get passed.
- Assisted the Advocacy Committee with their response to A10516/S9404 relating to Notary requirements when notarizing deeds conveying residential real property. This legislation would have caused issues for the title industry. It was not passed before the end of the session.